|Dragons Heat Up To Scorch Seahawks|
The Dragons improved to 17-7 overall and 10-3 in CAA play while the Seahawks moved to 3-21 and 2-11 with the setback.
Wooton poured in 18 of her 25 points after the break to power a Drexel lineup that made 53.8 percent (14-of-26) of its shots in the second half to overcome a 25.8 percent (8-of-31) effort from the floor in the first half. Senior Hollie Mershon tallied 19 points, including 13 after the break, and added a team-best seven rebounds.
Sophomore Kelva Atkins scored 17 points, all in the second half, and senior Karneshia Garrett added 10 for UNCW. Atkins, Garrett and senior Chelsea McGowen pulled down six rebounds apiece as the Seahawks held a 33-28 advantage on the glass. Senior Tawanna Lee dished out a career-high seven assists.
Trailing 8-7 early in the first half, UNCW used back-to-back baskets from freshman Dana Brown and a layup by Garrett over a 4:39 span to build a 14-8 advantage.
A layup by Mershon at the 6:08 mark snapped the Seahawks spurt and ignite an 18-3 Drexel run that lasted until the 15:05 mark of the second half and gave the Dragons a 26-17 lead.
Atkins would get the Seahawks back in the contest moments later, scoring eight of the next 10 points to make it a 28-25 game, only to see the Dragons run off eight straight points to take their first double-digit lead of the game, 36-25, with 9:54 left on the clock.
The Seahawks once again cut into the Dragons deficit, scoring 15 of the next 23 points to make it a 44-40 contest with 5:19 remaining.
The Dragons responded, notching seven of the next nine points to build a 51-42 cushion with 2:54 remaining.
UNCW would make one last push, taking advantage of a free throw and 3-pointer by Lee on back-to-back possessions made it a five-point game, 51-46, with 2:09 left to play.
That would be as close as the Seahawks would get, however, as Mershon scored on three straight possessions and Wootton knocked down a pair of free throw attempts for Drexel to close the game on an 8-1 run and record the 12-point victory.
UNCW is back in action Sunday with a 2 p.m. against Northeastern while Drexel returns to the court Thursday as it entertains George Mason in a 7 p.m. contest.
- Drexel increased its lead in the all-time series to 12-8 as it picked up its third straight victory in the series. Tuesday's contest marked the first meeting between the two programs at the Daskalakis Athletic Center since a 60-58 UNCW victory on Feb. 28, 2010.
- Drexel held a 30-10 advantage in points in the paint, highlighted by a 16-4 edge in the second half.
- UNCW committed 20 or more turnovers for the seventh time this season as it finished with 24 miscues. The Dragons were able to convert the 24 Seahawks miscues into 27 points.
- The Seahawks out-rebounded its opponent for the third straight contest and the seventh time this season. UNCW moved to 3-4 on the campaign when it finishes with more rebounds than its opponent.
- UNCW shot below 40 percent from the floor for the 17th time this season and moved to 0-17 when doing so.
- The Seahawks recorded double figure assists for the third straight contest and the 16th time this season as they finished with 13 helpers.
- UNCW shot below 70 percent from the free throw line for the 17th time this season as it was 9-of-14 (.643) at the charity stripe. The Dragons were a perfect 10-for-10 for the game from the line.
- Neither team recorded a blocked shot in the contest as the Seahawks failed to record a rejection for the fourth time this season.
- UNCW's bench out-scored the Drexel reserves by a 17-6. It marked just the eight time this season that the Seahawks bench has out-scored its opponents reserves.
0 - Tawanna Lee
- Established a new career high in assists with seven, breaking old mark of six set on five previous occasions.
- Led team in assists for the ninth time this season and the 22nd time in her career.
3 - Kelva Atkins
- Reached double figures in points for the ninth time this season.
- Led team in scoring for the fourth time this season.
- Led team in rebounding for the second time this season.
24 - Jessica Freeman
- Played all 40 minutes of the game for the 10th time this season.
40 - Karneshia Garrett
- Reached double figures in points for the 14th time this season and the 29th time in her career.
- Led team in rebounding for the 18th time this season and the 36th time in her career.
42 - Chelsea McGowen
- Led team in rebounding for the fourth time this season and the eighth time in her career.