|Baseball Preview: Pepperdine|
MALIBU, California – The Seahawks close out their trip on the West Coast on Tuesday with 5 p.m. EST start against West Coast Conference member Pepperdine at scenic Eddy D. Field on the Malibu campus.
UNCW (5-5) enters the non-conference road game coming off a 5-3 win over Baylor of the Big 12 Conference at the USD Tournament in San Diego on Sunday. The Seahawks trailed 2-0 after five inning and 3-2 after seven before rallying with three runs in the top of the ninth to grab a 5-3 lead.
Pepperdine, meanwhile, has done some traveling of it owns after visiting Hawaii for a four-game series in which it split with the Rainbow Warriors. The Waves topped UH, 7-3, in the series final for the split. Pepperdine owns a 6-1 record at home this season and carries a six-game winning streak in front of its home fans after a season-opening loss to St. John’s.
Sophomore righthander Evan Phillips (1-1, 1.64 ERA) will make his third start of the season for UNCW while Pepperdine counters with lefthander Matt Maurer (0-1, 2.63) who will also be making his third start of the season.
The Seahawks will return to Wilmington following the game on Tuesday and return to action when they open a three-game set with former conference rival VCU on Friday at 4 p.m.
5 things to know for Tuesday’s game
- UNCW is 0-2 all-time against members of the West Coast Conference, both losses are to San Diego
- Pepperdine won the 1992 College World Series and last competed in the NCAA tournament in 2012
- UNCW first baseman Corey Dick carries a six-game hitting streak into the game while second baseman Dillon Bass has a team-high four doubles and owns an eight-game streak of getting on base
- Pepperdine Head Coach Steve Rodriquez will be an assistant coach this summer with the Team USA College team, a team which UNCW skipper Mark Scalf has served as an assistant twice during his career
- UNCW’s Scalf will be serving as head coach for the program in his 1,300th game on Tuesday