|Baseball Preview: Coastal Carolina|
WILMINGTON, North Carolina – The Seahawks hit the road Wednesday for 6 p.m. start at long-time rival Coastal Carolina at TicketReturn.com Field at Pelican Park.
The two were supposed to play on Tuesday, but rain forced the game to Wednesday.
Both clubs are coming off tough weekends as UNCW dropped 2-of-3 against visiting Indiana State while the Chanticleers lost their Big South opening series to High Point.
Tonight’s starters are Cory Gantz (0-0, 0.00 ERA) for UNCW while Cole Schaefer (3-1, 2.50 ERA) goes for CCU. Gantz will be making his first collegiate start while Schaefer takes the mound as a starter for the fifth time. In his last outing the freshman righthander lasted just one-third of an inning in a loss to High Point.
The Seahawks return to Brooks Field on Friday for the first of a three-game series with West Virginia. Friday’s game time is 4 p.m.
Five things to know about Wednesday night:
- The Seahawks and Chanticleers will be meeting for the 86th time in the all-time series.
- UNCW and Coastal split last season’s annual home-and-home series with each team winning at home.
- Today’s game marks the second consecutive year the game is being played at Pelicans Park while CCU builds a new facility.
- CCU head coach Garry Gilmore is in his 19th season at the lead of the CCU program while UNCW’s Mark Scalf is in his 23rd season at the helm
- The Seahawks are 13-31 all-time at Coastal Carolina. UNCW’s last road win was in 2008.