|Pride Pounce On Seahawks In Matinee|
HEMPSTEAD, New York - Senior Shante Evans recorded 19 points and 19 rebounds to post her league-leading 18th double-double of the season and lead Hofstra to a 70-50 victory over UNCW in Colonial Athletic Association women's basketball action Sunday at the Mack Sports Complex.
The Pride improved to 13-15 overall and 9-8 in the CAA as they halted a four-game losing skid. The Seahawks, meanwhile, moved to 3-24 and 2-14 as they suffered their fourth straight setback.
Evans paced a potent Hofstra attack that shot 48.3 percent (28-of-58) from the floor and had three players score in double figures as senior Deven Green poured in a career-high 18 points on 9-of-11 shooting while senior Candace Bond chipped in 15 on a 7-of-11 effort from the floor.
Evans, who became the CAA's career rebounding leader during the contest with her 19 rebounds, highlighted a Hofstra lineup that enjoyed a commanding 52-31 advantage on the glass. Sophomore Andreana Thomas dished out a game-high nine assists.
Junior Jessica Freeman scored 15 points and senior Tawanna Lee added 12 for the Seahawks, who were a frosty 27.0 percent (17-of-63) from the field for the contest, including a 22.6 percent (7-of-31) performance from the floor in the first half. Sophomore Kelva Atkins joined the duo in double figures, finishing with 11 points and a team-high five assists.
Hofstra would take control of the contest in the early going, using a jumper from Bond at the 14:55 mark to ignite a 24-3 run that spanned nine and a half minutes and put the Pride in front, 29-10. UNCW was held without a field goal in that span, missing all 12 of its attempts from the floor during the game-changing spurt.
Taking a 35-19 lead into the second half, the Pride would maintain a comfortable margin the rest of the way, taking advantage of a 7-2 spurt midway through the second half to take its largest lead of the game, 53-31.
An 11-4 UNCW run would end the Pride spurt and bring the Seahawks within 15, 57-42, only to see the Pride rattle off seven straight points to rebuild its 22-point cushion and cruise to victory.
Both teams return to action Wednesday. UNCW hosts Towson while Hofstra completes its regular-season schedule with a visit to Northeastern. Both contests are set to begin at 7 p.m.
- The Pride evened the all-time series between the two programs at 12-all as they picked up their third victory in four tries against the Seahawks. UNCW moved to 4-8 in 12 visits to the Mack Sports Complex.
- UNCW shot below 40 percent from the floor for the 19th time this season and moved to 0-19 when doing so. It marked the third time in four games the Seahawks have shot below 40 percent from the field.
- The Seahawks were out-rebounded for the 20th time this season and moved to 0-20 on the campaign when grabbing fewer rebounds than their opponent. The Pride's 21 rebound advantage on the glass represented the 14th time this season that a UNCW opponent has held a double-digit advantage in rebounds.
- UNCW shot below 60 percent from the free-throw line for the 10th time this season as it was 7-of-13 (.538) at the charity stripe.
- Hofstra posted a 42-10 advantage in points in the paint, including 22-4 advantage in the second half.
- The two teams combined to record 34 turnovers in the contest (Hofstra 20, UNCW 14). Hofstra became the third team to record 20 or more turnovers against the Seahawks this season.
- The Seahawks recorded double figure assists for the 18th time this season and the fifth time in six games as they finished with 10 assists.
- UNCW recorded double digit steals for the sixth time this season as they recorded 10 thefts versus the Pride.
- Hofstra became the ninth team this season and the first team in five games to score 70 or more points against the Seahawks.
- The two teams combined for 13 blocked shots (Hofstra 8, UNCW 5) .
0 - Tawanna Lee
- Reached double figures in points for the 11th time this season and the 27th time in her career.
3 - Kelva Atkins
- Reached double figures in points for the 11th time this season. Has reached double figures in four of the past five games.
- Led team in assists for the 11th time this season.
24 - Jessica Freeman
- Reached double figures in points for the 14th time this season and the 35th time in her career.
- Led team in scoring for the eighth time this season and the 14th time in her career.
40 - Karneshia Garrett
- Led team in rebounding for the 21st time this season and the 39th time in her career.